Frequently asked questions
How does eCounselling/Tele-Therapy work?
Counselling and psychotherapy are umbrella terms that cover a range of ‘talking’ therapies. This can be short or long term to help them bring about effective change or enhance their wellbeing.
Technology has become an essential part of all of our lives – it can even be useful in personal growth work. While using the internet as a mode of communication for therapy may seem somewhat unconventional, online counselling is an effective, confidential and convenient alternative to face-to-face sessions.
What are the benefits of online counselling?
Benefits of online counselling can be:
- Convenience (eg. out of hours due to work; those who travel and would otherwise have to miss a session; or illness or bereavement, childcare commitments). It saves clients time.
- Comfort and feeling safe in your own home environment (eg. anxiety); less inhibited and more able to discuss deeply personal concerns); clients with a physical disability.
- It can be helpful for those who are ambivalent about therapy or who may be uncomfortable with traditional models of therapy. Can seem less daunting for some than face-to-face.
- Online counselling may also be effective in eliminating social stigma associated with receiving therapy, eg. in private without having to visit a counselling centre.
- Cost effective (not having to pay for petrol, parking or public transport)
- Clients from remote or regional areas can access counselling.
Will there be any potential challenges of online counselling?
Potential challenges can include:
Added isolation felt by clients; discuss with your counsellor
Technology such as Internet connection can fail us sometime
How do I know if I'm suitable for online counselling?
We have a free introductory session for you to see if online counselling is suitable for you.
What will I need for online counselling?
We encourage you to be in a comfortable and safe environment such as your home before your session. You will also be required to have the following hardware and software for online counselling:
A working computer or phone with video call capabilities, as well as a reliable Internet connection.
A video call application of your choice, such as Skype or FaceTime, installed on your preferred device.
You may also like to use a headset for privacy, or private uninterrupted space.
If you think you might benefit from counselling, why not book an appointment HERE.
What if I need to cancel/re-schedule my appointment?
All cancellation or re-scheduling of appointments must be done at least 24 hours before your original scheduled appointment. No refunds will be given for any cancellations below 24 hours of notice from original cancelled appointment.
Will my records be kept confidential?
Yes. Like any therapy session, all client records will be kept confidential.